You know when you read a recipe in a cookbook and you literally just have to make it? I saw this gorgeously green cake in one of my favourite baking cook books (The Clandestine Cake Club, which I would highly recommend for anyone who loves baking) and I just about fantasized for two days about what this cake would taste like.
I had so much trouble finding darn polenta. A few years ago it seemed to be super popular (I suspect thanks to media attention from celebrity chefs, aka Nigella Lawson and her lemon polenta cake, which by the way is literally the best thing I have ever baked). I tried all the major supermarkets with no luck, but if you go to a large Holland and Barrett, you're likely to find that they stock it.
I feel like this cake is very seasonally unfitting, but in the deepest darkest winters, I strangely sometimes find myself fancying light summery cakes bursting with fresh fruit. Think of this cake as an ode to summer.
The cake is said to be traditional Greek cake, but I'm not too sure about how traditional. Many of the traditional Revani recipes that I have looked for seem to be made with coconut syrup and are made with semolina, I couldn't find any made with polenta (but that seems to be more of a tradition in Turkey than Greece).
How would I describe this cake? Sweet, sticky and fragrant with orange and strawberries as it is soaked in a strawberry, honey and orange syrup. The Greek yogurt makes the cake moist and adds a little tartness and the pistachios give wonderful colour and crunch( the recipe did not say anything about toasting them beforehand which I would recommend since they went a slightly soggy on top of the cake). Have a go at this super easy to make cake, and serve with creme fraiche or thick Greek yogurt.
Pistachio, Honey and Strawberry Revani Cake
Ingredients:
200g/8oz medium ground polenta (fine is good to use but don't use coarsely ground)
200g/8oz caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g/4oz ground almonds
50g/2oz pistachios, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
4 large eggs
200g/8oz Greek yogurt
200ml light olive oil
Grated zest of two large oranges
100g/4oz ground pistachios, to decorate
For the strawberry syrup:
100g/4oz strawberries
Juice of 1/2 orange
120ml clear honey
Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm round, springform cake tin, then dust the inside with flour or sprinkle with polenta.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate jug, mix together the eggs, yogurt, olive oil and orange zest. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into the tin and spread out evenly.
3. Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool competley in the tin.
4. To make the syrup, put the strawberries into a blender and blitz to a smooth puree. Transfer to a small saucepan set over a medium heat, add the orange juice and slowly bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for five minutes, or until the syrup just begins to thicken. Add the honey and mix well, then return to the blender and blitz until smooth.
5. Using a skewer or a small knife, poke holes in the top of the cooled sponge (make sure there are plenty, to soak up the honey and strawberry flavours), then pour over the hot syrup. When all the syrup has been absorbed, sprinkle over the ground pistachios. If you like, drizzle some more honey on top. Cut it into small portions to serve, ideally with coffee. o serve with some thick luscious greek yogurt, creme fraiche
No comments:
Post a Comment