I know that soup perhaps isn't the most interesting thing in the entire world, but a good bowl of soup is such a soul warming thing to enjoy. I still feel as if the light summer days are not quite here yet and the cold nights still make me want to retreat under a blanket, eat stodgy puddings and watch movies.
Also, I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment. I'm just trying to eat a little better and exercise more, and this soup not only feels like a big cuddle but also feels like it's doing you good too.
On second look at these photos, I am aware that the bowl of soup does appear to look like a giant egg. But never mind. I called it sunset soup as the colour really reminded me of that beautiful deep orange that comes with a sunset.
If you don't like your soup as spicy as I do, then feel free to put in a quarter of a chilli. I feel as if this soup needs the contrast of spiciness with the sweetness of the butternut squash. Anyway, without further adieu, here is the recipe:
Sunset Soup
Ingredients:
1 whole butternut squash, peeled and chopped into chunks (it's worth it though I admit, it is a bit of a hassle to prepare)
3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
2 stock cubes
Half a red chilli, deseeded and chopped
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
1) Heat up some oil in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan. Once hot enough, chuck in your sliced onion, followed by the carrots and butternut squash. Fry for 10 - 15 minutes until vegetables begin to colour and soften.
2) Crumble the stock cubes into the pan and add hot water from the kettle. You want enough to cover the vegetables by a couple of inches, not too much. You can always add more water if needed.
3) Bring to a boil and leave to cook over a medium heat for about 30 minutes. Pop the soup in a blender or use a hand blender to blend until smooth. Put in the chopped chilli, and blend some more. Season and taste to make sure it is how you like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment