20 Sept 2016

Mint Julep Peaches

I'm pleased to say that these peaches taste just as beautiful as they look. I've been in the mood for all things fresh and fruity lately and these luscious soft peaches with a sweet syrup and fresh mint make for a gorgeous dessert.






















(On a very random note, I've just realized how this photo reminds me of a giant peach from a certain Sir Mix A Lot video) 

What I will also mention is that I am not a big fan of alcohol (I wrinkle my nose at red wine, and more often than not avoid the marsala soaked sponge layer of a tiramisu), so I was a bit skeptical to have make these seeing as the recipe required bourbon (which I now know is a type of whisky).  

However, the majority of it is cooked off in the cooking process, so even if you, like me aren't that keen on booze you will still enjoy these. 



The recipe makes the most sublime concentrated peach syrup the colour of roses. It really is a very pretty thing to behold. Ideal to make the most of the last of the hot summery days that we have left.




For this recipe, I wasn't willing to spend £15 on a fresh bottle of bourbon at the supermarket, so I used some scotch whiskey I had at home. Worked well for me.

I also stupidly forgot to take the skins off my peaches, they were delicious nonetheless. 

Mint Julep Peaches

Recipe from Nigella Lawson

Ingredients: 

700ml water
700g caster sugar
250ml bourbon 
8 white fleshed peaches 
1 small bunch of mint 

Method:

1. Put the water. sugar and 200ml of the bourbon in a wide bottomed saucepan, swirl about to help the sugar start dissolving then put the hob on on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Let it boil away for five minutes or so and then turn the heat down so that the syrup simmers. You want pronounced but not fierce bubbles. 

2. Cut the peaches in half and remove the stones and then lower these halves, so that they fit snugly, cut side down, in the pan. Poach for a couple of minutes before turning them over and poaching for another 2-3 minutes, cut side up. The best way of testing whether they are done is to prod the cut sides with a fork. 

3. When they feel tender, remove with a slotted spoon to a dish and continue until all the peaches are cooked. Pour the juices that have collected in the plate back into the poaching liquid, then measure 200ml/1 scant cup of the liquid into a small saucepan. Add the remaining 50ml/1 tbsp bourbon/whiskey to this pan, put on the heat and boil until reduced by half. 

4. Carefully peel off the peach skins. This should be easy enough. Let the reduced syrup cool in a jug somewhere nearby, you can freeze the remaining poaching liquid next time you want to make these (just top up with water and a dash or two of bourbon when you reheat). You can leave the peach halves, cut side down, covered with clingfilm, on a plate till you need them. Should the peaches start turning brown on standing, just spritz with lime and their unsullied beauty will be restored. 

5. Before serving, pour some of the thick, pink-bronze syrup over the peaches and scatter the torn off mint leaves on top. 

No comments: